Colossians 3:16

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God - Colossians 3:16

Friday, September 28, 2012

This week's songs for Sunday

During the mid-week Bible study at our church, Pastor John has been going through the book of Daniel.  Growing up, the Bible stories of Daniel and his three friends were read to us.  I can still see those pictures of him in the lion's den.  I remember he was a man of prayer.  But going through a book expositionally is much different than a picture Bible.  I'm learning especially about prophecy.  I'm ashamed to say that I don't know much about this topic, even though it takes up a large part of the Bible.  I'm ashamed to say that I don't put much stock in this topic, even though it basically tells us what our future is.  I feel a bit foolish, like Biff from Back to the Future, who doesn't initially realize the gold mine he's sitting on by knowing the future. 

In choosing the set for this week, I wanted to look at a few things: Christ as the reigning King over all...the greatness of our God...our response to live for Him...and even a song that reminds us of our great High Priest who intercedes on our behalf.  That last theme was particularly important to me because I know I fail to live out what 1 John 3:3 is talking about.  I am not a perfect man.  I struggle with sin.  I am still a sinner.  But "Before the Throne of God Above" is so powerful because of this reminder that Christ continues to intercede.  Picture Satan as the prosecutor, pointing out my sins to God, telling God that because He is holy and just, He must punish me for my sinfulness.  God agrees.  But then Jesus, my defense attorney, steps in.  He reminds the Judge (not that He has forgotten) that He paid it all.  He bled and died to take away my sin.  He is the propitiation of my sin.

How can we not respond in jubilant, thankful worship, living our lives for Him, even dying for Him? 

1. King of Ages
2. O Great God
3. Before the Throne of God Above
4. One Pure and Holy Passion

No comments:

Post a Comment