Colossians 3:16

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God - Colossians 3:16

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1 John 2:3-4 and Before the Throne of God Above

1 John 2:3-4 essentially tells us that if we say that we know God, we obey his commandments.  And if we say we know him, and we don't, then we're liars and the truth is not in us.  What a scary thought.  Especially for a wretched sinner like me.  When I read that verse, I have to ask myself, "am I obedient to God's word?"  And the honest answer is, "no."  So then...does that mean I'm no longer saved?  Not necessarily.  None of us are perfect, before or after justification.  I know that my sins have all been forgiven in Christ.  And while God's word should be our final source of authority and comfort and joy, sometimes we can recall songs more readily because the tune helps us remember them.  That is why it's important we sing biblical songs.

This passage, and my subsequent reflection, caused me to burst out in praise, singing the second verse to Before the Throne of God Above (parenthetical remarks are my own):

When Satan tempts me to despair (because of my sinfulness)
And tells me of the guilt within, ("You sinner, how can you be saved?  How could God save a wretch like you?) 
Upward I look and see Him (Christ) there,(He died on the cross and rose from the dead) 
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free (Praise the Lord!!!!)
For God the (perfectly) Just is satisfied
To look on Him (Christ) and pardon me (the wretched sinner)
To look on Him and pardon me.

I am so thankful for good songs that put God's word into music to help us remember his truth.  By no means am I saying not to practice the discipline of memorizing Scripture.  I think that is of the utmost importance.  But using biblical songs can definitely be a great tool to take advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment